In the statement of need, we identified a number of areas that needed to be improved to provide modern amenities that met the changing requirements of the congregation and wider community:
- Roof repairs: We have fixed one half of the roof, but we are still not watertight and the state of the south slope of the roof is worsening, with water coming in when there is rain.
- Improved access: St Leonard’s has street level access for people with limited mobility from one gate, but the lavatories are virtually unusable for people in wheelchairs and the kitchen is only accessible to two people at once, again, not if they have a disability. The churchyard is poorly lit which is an issue for people who have limited mobility and those with poor or failing eyesight.
- Lavatories: These are needed for St Leonard’s to be suitable for hire, accessible and a good place for children.
- Kitchen space: We need a better kitchen space in order to better serve the community who wish to use the venue for events.
When we have fixed the roof and basic facilities, we will move to phase 2:
- Environmental concerns: The wooden doors into the church, and between the narthex and nave, are an important part of keeping the heat in. However, when they are closed, the church looks unwelcoming. We are looking at options such as a glass sliding door.
- Lighting and sound: The church lighting and sound systems are old fashioned and, again, reduce access for people with sight or hearing loss.
Close up view of kitchen and toilets.
Artist’s representations of the new kitchen space, ramps and toilets.